Zendingswerk onder doven en slechthorenden
Do you know sign-language and want to use this skill as a way to meet new people and introduce them to Jesus?
Would you enjoy the challenge of learning another culture and language?
Are you eager to learn from those who are doing evangelism and church-planting among Muslims?
We have an opportunity in the Republic of Georgia (the Caucasus) for an outreach worker who will help in a secular project that supports the deaf.
We are currently looking to strengthen our team that reaches out to the Muslim minorities who live in the South of the Republic of Georgia, in a province that borders Armenia and Azerbaijan. Our Team Leader moved to the city in Spring 2016 after many years in Azerbaijan and she has established the environment for new team members to come and join them in the following vision:
To build and support the local church and Muslim Background Believers in this area.
The work will include evangelism amongst the Muslim people and discipleship of young believers. The vehicle for getting into contact with the target people is working with a locally registered non-religious NGO which focuses on training. The NGO has been invited to help a municipality run project for deaf people, the majority of whom are Azeri or Kurdish.
As an outreach worker you will:
• Experience life in a Muslim city, learning a different culture.
• Devote a large part of your week to learning the Azeri language.
• Develop relationships with friends and neighbours and share your faith with them in appropriate ways.
• Under the NGO umbrella work in the deaf community centre, making relationships with the participants and being salt and light in that setting.
• Receive on-the-job training as you experience what church planting is like in a cross-cultural setting.
We are looking for someone who:
• Has a heart to see people come to know the Lord and to grow in their faith.
• Is adventurous and flexible.
• Is willing to learn.
• Loves and cares for those with hearing difficulties.
• Wants to commit at least 2 years to service in the South Caucasus.
The amount of involvement in evangelism and discipleship will increase over the period of the assignment. At first a lot of time will need to be spent in learning Azeri. This is a long-term task: language learning is likely to take at least two years.
There are also similar opportunities working in the team using other skills apart from sewing (e.g. other handwork such as knitting or crochet, arts, activities that can be done with women etc.) Please contact us for more details.
We offer you:
• You will be part of an international, interdenominational team.
• We assist you with all preparations you need before you leave to the field from our office in the Netherlands.
• If needed we help you to get a resident visa permit and a place to live.
• Since this is a volunteer job, we help you setting up your fundings.
If this challenges you, please contact our office.